Thursday, September 11, 2014

The September Week

This has probably been a second week of school course so they have left a pretty good impression of what to expect.


                           First off, Illustration 1 is an interesting course but had a combination of stylized art and uses the knowledge to communicate particular ideas. Yes, you are pretty much drawing around anything creative but there are actually a lot of thought that needs to be addressed in the picture. Whether it is about choosing the appearances of the appearing characters. Or it’s the expressions that help tell the narrative to the style that you what to emphasize the illustrations with. However, the classes have been lectures to help reference ideas but mostly to present their finished sketch to your art students. For that, a discussion takes place about what the illustration is representing to what improvements could be made to convey the main idea. For example, our second big project was to illustrate an emotion, adjective or adverb as clearly as possible. I chose the word stressful, and here I illustrated a different approach of the term with the sailor life to it. Then I chose a cartoonish style to help simplify the shapes and chaos imagery that stressed the main character. And once it was hung on the wall, it really had its own unique style that people thought to depict chaos, nervousness and anxiety, which were really close to what I wanted. As for my instructor, it was a love-hate relationship, as he enjoyed the stylized arrangement of the imagery but found some of the cartooning characters too distracting to unfocused. So, now for my next two illustrations, I am going to bring in some realism with pen & ink and have some clarity to visualize. Probably won’t be easy, but will have enjoyment in it.
  

                       Next I’m taking the typography course, which is actually a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. From learning the difference between font and typeface, to how they are carefully defined from one another. Supposedly we will be working towards the tools on the adobe programs, but for now we are doing what my artist aunts did in advertisements, working with raw materials. So our first big assignment was to hand draw different typefaces for one of the alphabet letters. And yes, I hand drew each one I did not trace them!! Maybe it’s my drawing passion but I was extremely getting into drawing the typeface. Each one has it own voice to express with and it can be very difficult to decide that. It pretty much became a reminded of the times I had to draw large font to the billboards for my Drama production. Overall, I’m really excited for what is coming up and hope to learn a lot from this course.

                        Then I decided to try a Film and Video Media course as well. What this class is the teaching basics of filming narratives and capture artistic visuals. I do have a slight interest of learning how to film well but mostly the strong compositional choices and unique art decisions put into them. And from what my professor has show use, there are some awesome techniques used in film, when it is ten minutes to thirty second. It can be really leave an imprint on the viewers by being experimental film with impressionable imagery to opening a new eye to the viewers. Just like a canvas, they have the control to decide what needs to be addressed and remembered by as its own. So, this project is to create a how- to video, with an art twist in it. All I can mention is that I going to need help filming.


                            Lastly, my liberal study course is almost similar but since it is midnight right now, I’m going to simplify it. The classes have us reading short stories to understand the languages that the author is writing in and then writing three to five paged papers on the assigned topic. For creative writing, I had to write two stories about my earliest childhood memory, which is a lot more difficult. With fiction, you have full control at what you are creating in your head as you pour it out on printing paper. However I feel with a real live event, you feel very pressured about writing about this memory. Usually memories are fairly remembered until a picture or sense brings them back to that moment. You can’t be sure if that memory is accurate or not because it was so long ago, so you do not wish to have the memory be something misleading or fictional at all. Now that I think about it, recalling our earliest memory must be the theme this year because a majority of my art classes had first assignments address that. And finally for English Composition 2, we are part taking in the discussions about Hero and Villains that exist in fiction and reality. Right now we have been learning how important but life threating the knowledge of learning can be.  It makes sense how people might discard this topic, saying that education is wasting but it can valued more once you don’t have. And now, we are beginning to read the book “Unbroken”, which I might do a book review about once finish. Since it is based off of a true event and going to become a blockbuster movie, it must be an inspiring book to look into.        

No comments:

Post a Comment